Portable Barbecues: A Quick Guide
There’s nothing better during the summer than getting out the old barbecue and dishing up some smoky delights for your guests. Whether you are a BBQ addict or just an occasional outdoor cooker, choosing the right gas barbecue is important. Ideally, you want it to be portable and easy to use.
Here’s our quick guide on what to look for:
Why go Portable?
First of all, if you want to be able to use that barbecue as much as possible. Opting for a portable model means that you can simply put it in the car or caravan and take with you wherever and whenever you want. So, for instance, if you have a sporting event or festival to attend, it means you can cook up a feast easily. For those who regularly go camping, a portable barbecue set is ideal.
Offering high performance at a fraction of the size, the Char-Broil X200 Grill2Go Barbecue Grill promises to deliver the most succulent meals. Developed for use with all levels of cooking skills from professional through to amateur, this durable and strong designed unit has been manufactured from stainless steel with heat resistant touch areas.
- TRU-Infrared Cooking System - cooks food evenly, with less flare-ups to give up to 50% juicier food and uses up to 30% less gas.
- Stainless Steel Burner - strong, durable burners that are built to last
- Electronic Igniter - lights up your grill at the push of a button.
- Stainless Steel Cooking Grate - high quality and easy to clean
- Lid-Mounted Temperature Gauge - monitor the inside temperature of your grill.
- Portable Propane Cylinder - powered by a portable 16.4 ounce disposable liquid propane cylinder (sold separately)
- 2 Years Warranty - all parts including the burner.
- Multifunctional: This compact camping grill offers campers the choice between a pan support or an enamelled grilling grid and a lid protects the cooking surface
- High Performance: The fully adjustable 2000 W BBQ is powered by the Campingaz CV 470 Plus gas cartridge (run time up to 3 hours); push and turn Piezo ignition for convenient lighting in any weather
- Available Europe Wide: The CV 470 Plus cartridge is available in over 50 countries thanks to Campingaz's worldwide dealer network
- Easy Cleaning and Transport: Water compartment collects grease; pan support and grid are dishwasher safe; all elements fit inside the stove body-thanks to detachable legs and lid
- Specifications: Dimension diameter 32 x 33 cm (on stand); gas consumption 145 g/h; boil time of 4 minutes 18 seconds; weight 2.84 kg; lid for the transport is included
- versatile, easy to use BBQ for garden and camping use, diameter 47cm
- Light-weight anodised aluminium legs
- piezo ignition and variable heat setting
- Dome with stay-cool handle and thermometer. Dome clips on back and acts as a windshield and splash-back protector
- Porcelain enamelled dome with stainless steel heat deflector
- Large cooking area to feed the entire family 310mm x 660mm
- Easily transportable folds away in seconds. With convenient side shelves which pop out.
- Come with hose and regulator. Instant start ignition, no matches needed!!!
- Twin burner with Cast Iron simple to remove grill plates for easy cleaning.
- Fast free delivery but please note we do not deliver to IOM, NI, IOW or any offshore island
- One stainless steel burner produces enough energy to heat whole cooking area
- Porcelain-enamelled cast-iron cooking grates, and cast aluminium lid and body
- Fully assembled out of box. Dimensions - lid closed (cm): 36.9H x 68.6W x 42D
- Push-button ignition and infinite control burner valve settings. Fuel type - Liquid Petroleum Gas (disposable cartridge sold separately)
- Grill must be preheated with burner on high for 10 to 15 minutes
Disposable Charcoal vs Portable Barbecues
While the cheap disposable charcoal barbecues are often hailed as providing that unique smoky taste and smell, they can be a devil when you need something portable. Very rarely is there enough charcoal in the barbecue to properly cook more than a couple of burgers and that’s if you manage to get it lit. A gas barbecue has several advantages. First, the propane can be a lot cheaper than constantly buying new disposables and it heats up a lot quicker, and doesn’t run out of heat midway through cooking! Gas barbecues are also much easier to deal with after cooking – you don’t have to worry about the fuel debris that remains behind – that’s important if you’re taking your BBQ out into the big, wide world.
Top Tips for a Great Barbecue
There are a number of factors you need to look for when choosing a portable barbecue. One is the BTU or British Thermal Unit. This is a measure of the heat your barbecue is going to produce. Ideally, you should be looking for something that has around 100 BTUs for each square inch of cooking area. It’s generally not something that buyers look at though it can be important, especially if you are using your set regularly, for example, while out camping.
• Sturdiness is another factor when considering portable barbecues. If you are moving something around and transporting it from place to place, then it makes sense to choose one that looks and feels robust. Essentially, you want something that combines portability with strength.
• You also want a barbecue that is going to be easy to clean. It’s no problem if you are using at home, but when you are taking your gas barbecue on the road you basically want a model that is as simple to clean as possible.
• If you are opting for a gas barbecue, one thing you do need to seriously consider is the gas tank and how you are going to carry it. The good news is that this area of BBQ tech has improved over the years and you can get lightweight and highly portable tanks to take with you on your travels.
Finally, while being portable, your barbecue also needs to be big enough to cope with the cooking you want to carry out. There are a range of sizes available nowadays, including mini barbecues that are no bigger than the size of a large book. They’re great if you suddenly want to do some cooking down the local park. A lot, of course, will depend on the space you have available whether you are out for a camping expedition with friends or simply want a portable set that you can use at home.